Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What rubbish are you talking about?

I came across this article, floating around on Facebook and find it really ridiculous that it was reposted by 'The Real Singapore' and some of my Facebook friends were like "food for thought"/"so true". ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Just because they can achieve it doesnt mean we also can. There are different demographics!!! How is it possible for it to be something for us to look up to?

This article is not even written by a Singaporean who got married young and relating the struggles behind it. It does not fucking hell relate to us, Singaporeans nor explain why we shouldn't till we are (financially) ready to get married.

"even replace the car when it died a few months into our marriage"

Wait a minute. Car? KNN, I can't even afford the car plate here in Singapore. Even the bus and MRT fare is increasing every year. I think thats why World of Sports is having sale.. for us to buy a good pair of Reeboks and walk every fucking where.

Available in Giant, Toys R Us and Fairprice.

"We lived in a small basement apartment, furnished with secondhand Ikea."

I do not know of any basement I can live in till I have the dough to buy a BTO/DBSS/HDB resale let alone a "small basement apartment". The only basement I fucking know is the carpark at any shopping malls in Singapore and fuck no, I am not going to find a cosy corner, place some Ikea furniture and call it my home. Do you know that the doors to the malls are closed at a certain timing? Where do I fucking pee and poo thou should the time for it comes knocking?

Look, ma. My very own swimming pool.

"We inventoried the family budget: no more fancy coffee, dining out, Zipcars, or shopping—just student loans, rent, and food."

Even if I were to rent a decent room, it will cost me SG$500 ish without PUB - no aircon, no TV, no Internet, no cooking-. A small non furnished apartment is about SG$2,700. Check PropertyGuru if you dont believe me.

Let's see. A normal office job will prolly bring home about SG$1,500 with a decent qualification. Two of you makes it SG$3,000. May I know if I am supposed to fucking eat the grass outside my apartment for the rest of the month just because I need to pay for your rent, bills, transport, etc? If I rent a room, think of all the privacy I am going to lose because of the presence of my landlord. Is it worth all the trouble just because I want to get married and grow old fast?

On the other hand, you still can pay for loans, rent and food despite the fact that your husband lost his job. You are doing not as bad as you think you are.

With SG$300, a bed in a room is all you get.

"We did not have Internet (checking email required a trip to the local coffee shop) or reliable heat."

Thank god, in Singapore, I dont need heat. We can skip that but my local coffee shop dont even provide me with clean chairs therefore Internet is definitely out of the question. I could go to Starbucks but then my coffee will be SG$5.60 instead of just SG$0.60. Dont fucking complain about making a trip to your local coffee shop when you have Internet there and we dont.

No place to even place my laptop.

The only part of the article I agree is:

"Your spouse becomes your soul mate after you've made those vows to each other in front of God and the people who matter to you. You don’t marry someone because he’s your soul mate; he becomes your soul mate because you married him"

The article is not bad to be featured in other countries. Not in Singapore thou because there are different factors stopping us from marrying young. Not because we are career minded. If the government really have a problem with the lack of babies due to marrying late, they would have helped us and make it affordable/attainable.

For example, our houses and cars will be cheaper and not just create some measures to stop the rich from buying. Their measures should help the poor and the middle class to purchase such goods AND stop the rich from buying, making the demand more, supply less therefore more expensive.

Its one in the morning now, I cant possibly name all. But you get my 411.


No comments: